Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quince Time

Although I love the things we can do with the blackberries, apples, plums, pears, persimmons and walnuts that grow here, the quince hold a special place in my heart. They are different, quirky, smell heavenly, and can be used as bowling balls in the street. What's not to like? Best of all they taste wonderful once they are cooked and are a part of my favorite season, Fall.

Last year I made quince jelly and since then discovered that quince and chocolate, especially dark chocolate, are a great flavor combination. Down to the last pint of the jelly in August, I decided to make some more this year. Unlike last year, I made the juice one day, put jars of juice in the fridge, and then made the jelly today, a couple of weeks later. I wasn't sure if all that time in the fridge would be a good thing, but the jelly turned out fine. The nice thing about making it this way is that neither part of the process seems too overwhelming.

The recipe can be found here.

The nice thing about quince is that it has natural pectins, so all you need is the fruit and water and some sugar. Sometimes quince can be found at farmer's markets. If you see these yellow, bumpy, sometimes fuzzy, sort of pear shaped fruits that smell almost floral, do get some and try this recipe!

Update on the starter: We are on day 10 of 15 and the starter is smelling nicely sour and the consistency is thick and sort of like rubber cement, only a very light tan color. I hate throwing away half the starter each day, so Xam gets it as a snack. He seems to like it just fine :) Next weekend it'll be ready to use in a nice loaf of bread!

10 comments :

  1. You know how jealous I am of your quinces and quince jelly! Looks gorgeous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I've always look at quince as romantic.
    Your jelly might be the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some truly beautiful jelly! Wow! Not a cloud in it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more than impressed with the jelly. I've never worked with quince and wish I could find it more readily here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I'm so impressed you made your own quince jam. It looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those jars look like they're filled with liquid jewels. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peabody, Quick, e-mail me your address so I can send some...they are almost gone.

    Tanna, Like some romances they are impossible when raw, but can mellow with care and attention :)

    Davimack, Double straining made it clear. Thanks!

    Giz, it's just that it's an old fashioned fruit I think, out of fashion so not grown much.

    Katie, Thanks!

    Susan, The color realy is part of the appeal...a very pretty dark rose color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm envious. Have you ever made quince paste? It's just like a thick jam really. It goes really well with a nice blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morven,

    Nope, I've never made quince paste, but I was given some as a gift and it is excellent with Machengo cheese and some almonds...and I'm sure with other cheese, too. With more time available I might try to make it ...maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, gorgeous!

    I was just eying the neighborhood quince trees as I came home this evening. I don't know the owners but might need to make their acquaintance soon:-)

    ReplyDelete